The De Hoop Reserve is situated just three hours’ drive from Cape Town on the world renowned Garden and Whale Routes – an ideal stop over en route from the Cape Winelands to Plettenberg Bay. It is in the Overberg region near the southern tip of Africa and can be approached from either Bredasdorp or Swellendam.
So why should you visit De Hoop?
1. Location. Location. Location.
The De Hoop Nature Reserve is situated east of Bredasdorp. The reserve is about 260 km by road from Cape Town, and may be reached via either Bredasdorp or Swellendam.
The last 60 km of either route is along gravel roads and takes an hour to travel – we wanted to turn around but so glad we didn’t.
Peaceful. Green. Beautiful.
2. Something for Everybody
De Hoop invites you to an ocean of memories and adventures from fantastic land based whale watching, game drives, walking trails, quad biking, guided bird walks, rock pool tours & star gazing.
3. The Helpful Staff
Friendly and Knowledgeable Staff who is there to help you with any request you might have or to simply answer your questions.
4. Accommodation Options
From Suites to self-catering houses and camping option – all based on your budget and preferences.
We stayed in one of the Opstal House which are very spacious and can easily accommodate family of 6. Large living area, kitchen, 3 bedrooms and bathroom and braai area.
De Hoop offers great facilities. Restaurant on site, tennis court (Opstal), swimming pool (Opstal) & boules court (Opstal). Even Helipad for your arrival in style:)
6. Great Nature Trails with an Amazing Views
De Hoop offers great Walking Trails with amazing nature views – stimulating exploration of both the De Hoop Vlei and the magnificent De Hoop Coastal Reserve.
7. Sunrises and sunsets
Breathtaking. What else can you say…
8. Superb Dining
3 Course Dinners are served at The Fig Tree Restaurant accompanied by Great Wine Menu. Cosy and Delicious.
Breakfasts is served at the restaurant and it is fantastic. Freshly baked breads, and selection of breakfast specialties. Coffee is great which is very important:)
* Remember 2 people can have sole use of cottage. Which is perfect for romantic getaways.
* You can either make a use of their self catering option or dine at FIG Restaurant which offers and amazing meals (breakfasts, lunches and dinners)
* Every year, some 40% of the world’s southern right whales come to these shores to breed. Females and their calves swim in the clear waters, while males put on spectacular displays. These endangered mammals ensure that the De Hoop Reserve in South Africa is one of the world’s best land based whale-watching areas.
So choose De Hoop for your next Getaway – to find out more or make a reservation visit:
T: +27 (0) 21 422 4522
All Images by Travel Opulent Box