Route 62 is one of the most breathtaking Routes in South Africa loved
by both Locals and Visitors to our beautiful country. Rightly so, as it was recently announced as one of “World’s top 10 Road Trips” by CNN (read here),
We have yet again had the pleasure of driving the route. Our first stop the beautiful Montagu Country Hotel , Montagu , Western Cape, nestled between the stunning Langeberg mountain ranges.
The Hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Montagu. It is within walking distance to shops, markets, galleries and restaurants. On top of that, it is surrounded by scenic walking and cycling routes. The Perfect Location!
ROOMS & DECOR: The Montagu Country Hotel is the only original Art Deco Hotel in South Africa. The Hotel has 31 beautifully furnished en-suite bedrooms decorated in either Art Deco or Victorian style. It’s like sleeping in a Museum surrounded by remarkable historical heirlooms, bursting to tell their story.
We had a spacious en suite bedroom with bath and separate shower and an outdoor sitting area. Tea & coffee facilities, TV and with a very comfortable bed.
Public areas are welcoming with inviting little nooks to unwind and relax.
FACILITIES: Montague Country Hotel is a tribute to the vibrant 1930’s, yet simultaneously offering a variety of modern facilities:
- Wellness Centre – offering both body and beauty treatments – utilizing the famous thermal waters of the area.
- Fully equipped Conference Facilities accommodating up to 60 delegates.
- Garden – well maintained with an abundance of plants, flowers and an herb garden. This is complemented by water features and bird feeders, all enhancing nature’s sanctuary.
- Two fantastic outdoor pools, the perfect place to cool off after a day of exploring. One of us really enjoyed it.
AMERICAN DREAM CARS: One of the highlights is the American Dream Cars. Book a drive with either Gert Lubbe (Owner ) or PJ Basson (General Manager). This is Montagu Country Hotel’s unique way of showcasing Montagu and surrounds. Click here for more information, bookings advisable and subject to availability.
DINING: Breakfast served daily. It’s a selection of fresh breads, fruits, cold meat and cheeses. Not to be missed.
We enjoyed lunch served in the garden. It was fantastic and most welcome after walking Lover’s Walk and Badskloof Trial . A fitting reward.
Our highlight was the dinner. An experience, the Restaurant has recently been named as Gourmet Destination 2016 – a food affair to remember, it will satisfy every foodie. Enjoy pre-dinner drinks at the Bar.
The beautiful Restaurant Decor added to this and don’t forget the excellent service. Candlelight and a talented young pianist enhanced the atmosphere. Your courteous waiter timeously unfolds your napkin, so you can peruse the wine list with its selection of local wines.
The Menu offers a wide variety of great South African dishes. The food is well presented and delicious. Tip: A three course meal is more than generous, satisfaction guaranteed.
PET FRIENDLY: Great news for animal lovers. Your getaway will now include the choice between your furry friend and man’s best friend.
Montagu Country Hotel is a perfect destination for families, couples, outdoor lovers and foodies. You will find all you love in one place. Looking forward to come back.
Some extra info:
- Parking is available at no charge and secure.
- Many hiking/walking and cycling trials around.
- Easy walking tour of the town is a must.
- Free WiFi.
- Recommended two nights stays.
- Children are welcome.
- Prepare to indulge in a culinary experience and transformed to the “time where serving is an art.”
- Pets: some rooms suited to welcome furry friends. Pets not allowed in restaurant, and must be on a lease when not in the room.
We have been hosted by Montagu Country Hotel in March during our Media Visit. Views are our own, based on personal and enjoyable experiences. All Extras have been settled directly at the Hotel
Images & Text by Patrycja @ Travel Opulent Box