The 2019 African Responsible Tourism Awards (#ARTA19) has moved into the second round in which 36 tourism organisations will compete for the top spots. Since 2015 the awards have recognised African organisations that offer a shining example of how tourism can benefit local people, the environment and destinations. The winners will be announced at a ceremony at WTM Africa in April.
The 2019 ARTA longlist: This year, the
Longlisted organisations compete in seven categories that focus on community benefits, conservation, resource management, attractions, events, cultural and heritage experiences, and
The 2019 longlist for the African Responsible Tourism Awards is:
⦁ 18 Gangster Museum (South Africa) @18_Gangstermuse
⦁ Action for Fundamental Change & Development (Uganda) @AFFCAD
⦁ All Out Africa (Swaziland) @alloutafrica
⦁ Anvil Bay (Mozambique) @Anvil_Bay
⦁ BARSA Aviation Summit 2018 (South Africa)
⦁ Basecamp Explorer (Kenya) @basecampexplore
⦁ Cape Town Marathon (South Africa) @CTMarathon
⦁ Davinci Hotel and Suites (South Africa) @legacyhotels
⦁ Dorobo Tours and Safaris (Tanzania)
⦁ Events Green Forum 2018 Conference & Master Class (South Africa) @EventGreening
⦁ GCIP-SA Annual Awards 2017 (South Africa)
⦁ Great Plains Conservation Sapi Reserve (Zimbabwe) @GreatPlainsCons
⦁ Grootbos Private Nature Reserve (South Africa) @GrootbosNGOZA
⦁ Ultimate Safaris’ //HUAB Under Canvas (Namibia) @UltimateSafari1
⦁ Kwalata Game Lodge (South Africa) @KwalatasTweet
⦁ LEO Africa (South Africa) @volunteerat_LEO
⦁ Mdumbi Green Fair Festival (South Africa) @MdumbiF
⦁ Meetings Africa (South Africa)
⦁ MTN Bushfire (Swaziland) @MTNBushfire
⦁ Nature Discovery (Tanzania)
⦁ Ocean Blue Adventures (South Africa)
⦁ Ol Pejeta Conservancy (Kenya) @OlPejeta
⦁ Panthera Africa Big Cat Sanctuary (South Africa) @PantheraAfrica
⦁ Planet Pilgrims (South Africa) @PlanetPilgrims
⦁ Rhino Walking Safaris (South Africa) @RhinoPost @RhinoWalking
⦁ SAACI Annual Congress 2018 (South Africa)
⦁ Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company (South Africa) @TableMountainCa
⦁ Township Art Tours (South Africa)
⦁ Two Oceans Aquarium (South Africa) @2OceansAquarium
⦁ Ultimate Safaris (Namibia) @UltimateSafari1
⦁ Wildlife ACT (South Africa)@wildlifeact
⦁ WOWZULU Inanda (South Africa)
⦁ WOWZULU Isandlwana (South Africa)
⦁ WOWZULU Khula Village (South Africa)
⦁ Zara Tanzania Adventures (Tanzania) @ZARACharity1
Heidi van der Watt, founder of the African awards and director of https://bettertourismafrica.org/Better Tourism Africa explains “The quality of entries which have made it through to the longlist this year confirms the power of responsible tourism as a force for good in Africa. Each one of these organisations is playing an important role in championing responsible tourism. We’ve reviewed the information from the entries and are excited about the possibilities.”
Judging and the awards’ ceremony
Submissions from these longlisted organisations will now be rigorously questioned by the independent judging team. The judging team is made up of industry experts.
Chair of Judges, Professor Harold Goodwin says: “The field for the 2019 African Responsible Tourism Awards is again an indication of the strength of responsible tourism in Africa! Entrants have already completed a detailed questionnaire. We’ll now take up references and make some inquiries. On judging day we’ll identify those that demonstrate the difference that taking responsibility can make, and have the capacity to educate and inspire others to be more responsible.”
The public can also offer support or otherwise for longlisted organisations by emailing email@example.com. Based on all the evidence, the judging team will debate the entries and select the shortlist and winners. The shortlist will be announced on 1 April 2019.
The 2019 African Responsible Tourism Awards winners will be announced at a ceremony to be held on Wednesday, 10 April 2019 at the Cape Town International Convention Centre. The ceremony is part of the responsible tourism programme at WTM Africa, which takes place from 10 to 12 April 2019.
Official hashtags: #ARTA19 #RTAwardsAfrica
Official Twitter handle: @RTAwardsAfrica
Issued by Better Tourism Africa
About Better Tourism Africa:
Better Tourism Africa (previously the International Centre for Responsible Tourism – South Africa), a non-profit organisation established in 2006, works alongside government, the private sector and communities in Africa to implement the objectives of Responsible Tourism as described in the Cape Town Declaration. We believe tourism should be harnessed to create better places for people to live and to visit. Our work includes advocacy, training and capacity-building, research and technical advisory services. \
About World Travel Market:
World Travel Market (WTM) portfolio comprises of six leading B2B events across four continents, generating more than $7bn of industry deals. The events are;
1) WTM London, the leading global event for the travel industry, is the must-attend three-day exhibition for the worldwide travel and tourism industry. About 50 000 senior travel industry professionals, government ministers and international media visit ExCeL London every November, generating around £3.1 billion of travel industry contracts. http://london.wtm.com/. Next event: 5 – 7 Nov 2018 – London.
2) Travel Forward is a new travel technology event co-located with WTM London 2018 and part of the WTM portfolio of events. The inaugural Travel Forward conference, exhibition and buyer programme will take place from 5 – 7 November 2018 at ExCeL London, showcasing next-generation technology for travel and hospitality. http://travelforward.wtm.com/
3) WTM Latin America attracts about 9,000 unique senior executives and generates about US$ 374 million of new business. Taking place in Sao Paulo, Brazil, this show attracts a global audience to meet and shape the direction of the travel industry. More than 8,000 unique visitors attend the event to network, negotiate and discover the latest industry news. http://latinamerica.wtm.com/. Next event: 2 – 4 April 2019 – Sao Paulo.
4) WTM Africa launched in 2013 in Cape Town, South Africa. Nearly 5,000 travel industry professionals attend Africa’s leading inbound and outbound travel and tourism market. WTM Africa delivers a proven mix of hosted buyers, media, pre-scheduled appointments, on-site networking, evening functions and invited travel trade visitors. http://africa.wtm.com/. Next event: 10 – 12 April 2019 – Cape Town.
5) Arabian Travel Market (ATM) is the leading, international travel and tourism event in the Middle East for inbound and outbound tourism professionals. ATM 2017 attracted almost 40,000 industry professionals, agreeing deals worth US$2.5bn over the four days. The 24th edition of ATM showcased over 2,500 exhibiting companies across 12 halls at Dubai World Trade Centre, making it the largest ATM in its 25-year history. www.arabiantravelmarketwtm.com Next event 28 April – 1 May 2019 – Dubai.
6) International Golf Travel Market (IGTM) is the meeting place for the global B2B golf travel community. Taking place annually since 1998, IGTM brings together more than 500 golf tourism suppliers and 400 pre-qualified buyers for four days of unmissable pre-scheduled appointments and exclusive networking opportunities. Showcasing a different golf destination every year, IGTM brings together 1,400 golf tourism professionals from more than 65 countries. http://igtm.wtm.com/. Next event: 15 – 18 October 2018 – Slovenia.
About Reed Exhibitions:
Reed Exhibitions is the world’s leading events business, enhancing the power of face-to-face through data and digital tools at more than 500 events a year, in more than 43 countries, attracting more than seven million participants. Reed’s events are held in the Americas, Europe, Asia Pacific and Africa and organised by 41 fully staffed offices. Reed Exhibitions serves 43 industry sectors with trade and consumer events. It is part of the RELX Group plc, a world-leading provider of information solutions for professional customers across industries.
About Reed Travel Exhibitions:
Reed Travel Exhibitions is the world’s leading travel and tourism events organiser with a growing portfolio of more than 22 international travel and tourism trade events in Europe, the Americas, Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Our events are market leaders in their sectors, whether they are global and regional leisure travel trade events, or specialist events for meetings, incentives, conference, events (MICE) industry, business travel, luxury travel, travel technology as well as golf, spa and ski travel. We have more than 35 years’ experience in organising world-leading travel exhibitions.