We know these are incredibly difficult times for everyone in the industry. COVID-19 is having a huge impact globally as well as in our country South Africa. It is up to ALL of us, our businesses and teams to act responsibly and ensure by taking the necessary safety steps to limit the virus as much as possible.
Safety and security of your guests and staff have been always the highest priority. The next step is to take additional cleanliness and hygiene measures to maintain these standards & immediately implement them:
- DONT PANIC!
- Take time and provide your staff with full awareness training. As the situation changes make sure they will receive safety guidelines/updates on a daily basis. You might end up in a situation that important staff members are unable to work. It’s a good idea to cross-train multiple employees for different roles. Allow sick employees to stay at home.
- Increase the frequency of cleaning of your public spaces: public areas bar, dining area, pool area, reception, offices, conference rooms, corridors, public bathrooms, and lifts.
- Increase cleaning of all the surfaces people touch like, doorknobs, room cards, tv remotes, bedside phones, light switches and more with ALL necessary cleaning agents and disposable wear. More hand sanitiser, more cleaning!
- For the safety of your staff, supply them with latex gloves, masks and hand sanitizers to minimise the risk of infection.
- It is your responsibility to make sure all your rooms/apartments have sanitizers. Don’t forget about your reception area and offices.
- All the events should have been cancelled or postponed by now.
- Adjust the food and beverage service in accordance with current food safety recommendations should be in place.
- Put an action plan regarding existing/future bookings. Encourage your guests to rather reschedule their travels than cancel by implementing no penalty process and flexible booking options where possible. Assess each booking on a case-by-case basis.
- Communicate with your guests and ask them to take extra precautions during these challenging times.
- Monitor and respond to a rapidly changing situation and share updates with your guests/staff on social media and in the property.
- Follow these tips from the World Health Organization to keep yourself, your guests and your staff safe:
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub. Don’t let the water run during that time!
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
- Avoid contact with people who seems unwell. And if you can’t, wear a mask.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a disposable tissue or flexed elbow when you cough or sneeze
- Disinfect surfaces you regularly use: desks, laptops, screens, cell phones.
Stay home and self-isolate from others in the household if you feel unwell.
For more details and updates on COVID-19 follow the World Health Organisation.